Hello.

I'm a intuitive artist inspired by and confused by life. By combining art and meditation with a flow-of-consiousness style, my process becomes an vision quest and an escape into a world of symbols and color. I stop here occasionally to unravel my mind.

Saturday, April 2, 2011

My entry-point to creative wanderings

A fellow artist posted a question on her blog today. 

She asked all artists, musicians, dancers -- all creative types -- to share what they see as their "muse" or inspiration for doing what they do.

I realized my muse is doodling. 

It has been my great escape since childhood. When I doodle, I'm in a flow-of-consciousness mode, channeling or allowing images to surface in my minds-eye.

I've called myself a  "doodle-artist" in the past but I've never considered it my "muse" until today. Doodling is the entry-point for most -- if not all-- of my create wanderings. Many of my doodle-images get recreated or incorporated into completed art pieces.

I am working on two solo art shows right now so I have a new commitment to my muse in order to meet my much-needed self-inflicted deadline-inspired productivity!  

It's a love-hate-love relationship.

So... what's your muse?

Sheri

4 comments:

  1. Wow Sheri, two solo shows! I wish you luck with those - where are you showing your work?

    I can relate on the doodle-muse. It's a stress reliever, liberating, tapping into your inner child. The surrealists way of releasing the inner workings of our subconscious through symbols. Following our instincts and intuition. It doesn't get more personal than that!

    What better way to produce some of our most sentimental and best works?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to that, too, Sheri, as I love to quick sketch or use rubber stamps to create pages in my journals for writing or art inspiration. I love to just play with writing and coloring and my stamps and I have done this for years, just to have lots of pages of thoughts and colors and textures and drawings. I guess art journaling is my muse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! I also enjoy journaling... I still have journals from as early as middle school! And like you Elayne.... my writing tends to default to doodling.

    One solo show is scheduled to hang end of this month in Chittenango NY. The other show -- is still in the creation mode. I'm only 3 pieces into what I hope will be at least 8 pieces. After I'm closer to done -- I plan to rally for a venue in Ithaca.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sheri, can I quote you on my blog? LOL! Perhaps I came to art the other way 'round. Instead of having the urge to draw, I had a muse pressing on my chest to express his vision. Therefore (?) I don't doodle the forms first, but always start with the idea first. I've heard that doodling can liberate one's artistic expression, though, and help an artist experience new things from the unconscious.

    ReplyDelete